When I get started on a website, I always ask the advisor if they have a bio available..
The answer I usually get is.. “No but I’ll write one up-” and then weeks later it doesn’t happen.
But that’s okay, it’s hard to write about yourself, especially when you’re trying to:
- Share your services
- Sound like a professional
- Be an expert
- Differentiate yourself
- … and still have a personality
all in a few succinct paragraphs…
So this is what I use on a regular basis with our advisors. A questionnaire to get the a “jump-start” on writing your bio.
Personally, I find it easier to answer questions than just to start writing about myself and I send this to almost every advisor I deal with to get the “brain juices” flowing on starting that bio. The feedback has been great because “Surprise!” it actually works.
Here’s our questionnaire to help you get started on your bio- be it for your website or you’re looking to revamp your bio.
- How did you get started in the business?
- How long have you been in the business?
- Prior to being in financial services, what was your career experience and how do you think this experience has helped you in your current position?
- What would you say is the main focus of your business?
- Courses and Education- have you completed courses towards designations or attended any seminars for CE Credits, could you please list some?
- Have you been quoted in media?
- Volunteer work/Philanthropy- are you involved or have any interest in any specific organizations?
- Honors and Awards?
- Hobbies? (Ex. Sports)
- Family Life- children, pets?
We also have a more in-depth guide on writing a professional bio that you can download, but the questions are the Coles’ note version of the guide… and sometimes a little easier to get through than the guide.
Did I mention that this is also one of the most important pages on your website? When I look at a financial advisor’s website, one of the highest viewed pages is the “About” page so make sure you spend some quality time on your bio.