When I first started in the industry, the training manager was awesome. She had a great system to teach us how to address all the financial needs of clients. Now 15 years later, a few designations later, I’ve taken what I’ve learned and distilled this into a one page checklist. This financial planning checklist is client-centric and focused on their entire financial picture with the goal of having a meaningful and open conversation with client/prospect about their finances.
The checklist focuses on 6 key aspects of an individual’s life:
- Are taxes up to date?
- How can you minimize taxes paid?
- Short term goals (1-5 years)
- Medium term goals (5-10 years)
- Long term goals (10+ years)
- Retirement goals
- Critical Illness
- Power of Attorney
- Living Expenses (Are they responsible for other family members?)
- Long Term Elder Care (Are they responsible for their parents?)
The checklist is unbranded so you can add your own contact information, your website link and your logo to it.