When I was young, I was taught that you go to school, get good grades, go to university and get a good job and then you’d be set…
I was wrong. I thought that once I was done school, that was it, no more – say goodbye to the books…
Sorry… completely not the case, in fact, I had to go learn more to get better in our industry:
- Elder Planning Counselor
- Certified Health Specialist
- Certified Financial Planner
- Chartered Life Underwriter
Then, in my 30s and on maternity leave, I don’t know if it was by “accident” or “fate” I went back to school to learn programming, design, and marketing. I often get asked… where can I learn this stuff?
Luckily, there are a ton of online resources now where you can learn at your own pace. Here are some pretty awesome sites to check out online learning.
For Programming, design and marketing
- Lynda.com– there is so much on this website that I’ll need to do another blog post on this.
- CodeAcademy.com – start learning the basics.. they make it pretty fun.
For Financial Designations
- Advocis– For the CFP, CLU, CHS
If you need a classroom to jump-start the learning… you should definitely check out your local “technical” school- I went to BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) to start.
I finally know now… 30 years later… learning never stops… I guess I’m a slow learner.